Gilbert Home Heating Safety Tips From American Cooling and Heating AZ
The Dangers of Using Alternative Heat to Make Up For A Worn-out Heat Pump
As winter chills bring new dips in Arizona temperatures, the importance of Gilbert home heating safety practices rises to the surface. Rather than trusting your installed Gilbert heat pump, some of you will cut corners by using space heaters, home fireplaces and other quick heat, room-regulated heating sources. Arizona-based American Heating and Cooling is here to help Gilbert residents practice wise home heating safety.
Modern heat pump technology provides energy efficient home heating at a fraction of the cost previously associated with effective HP performance. However, some Gilbert homeowners have not yet taken advantage of present-day opportunities. If you are trying to squeeze yet one more year out of an aged energy-hog Gilbert home heating system, consider the risks associated with freestanding heat units of any type.
Dedicated to protecting lives, poverty and the environment, the Gilbert Fire Department is always on guard and ready to provide you with rapid and effective emergency response (1). They strive to prevent fires before they start, but there are limits to the control the Gilbert Fire Department has over your lifestyle.
They can warn you of known fire risk factors. They can provide tips to help you know how to protect your home and your family. In the event that a fire does break out, they can strive to minimize the loss of life and property. Yet none of these goals can be accomplished without the purposed aid of each and every Gilbert citizen.
Many people think that it can’t or won’t happen to them. Yet national and state statistics prove that most injuries or deaths related to fire occur in the home. You can help protect yourself by installing tested and approved portable fire extinguishers. But you must understand that a fire extinguisher is not intended to permit you to control a large fire. In fact, a fire extinguisher is only useful against small fires that occur within a range of limited conditions.
Coal Stoves, Fireplaces and Spaces Heaters – A Major Cause of Home Fires
The 2001-2010 U.S. Fire Administration report on fire-related deaths reveals a 10-year decline in the national statistics (2). The figures are reported based upon deaths per million populations. Thus some of the decline is attributed to the increase in the U.S. population. But one must also wonder how much of the decline can be linked to new heating and cooling technology that reduces the need for homeowners to practice heating with more risky heat sources.
In a recent 24-hour period, the Grand Canyon fire protection volunteers responded to eight house fires. Fireplaces, space heaters and freestanding wood-burners or coal-burners account for much of the risks. Leaving such heating sources unattended increases the possibility of a home fire.
For the best in Gilbert Home Heating Safety, follow these tips:
- Update your heating equipment – Switching to a state-of-the-art Gilbert Heat Pump, Oil System or Gas Heating System will save you money on the cost of energy and greatly reduce your risks of a heating-related house fire.
- Space heaters need space – If you must rely on a space heater or a fireplace, remember to clear the area. From bedding to newspapers and from carpets to furniture, your home is a stockpile of combustible components. For safe operation, keep three feet or more between your heater and any combustible items.
- Practice fireplace safety – This means use a fire screen, clear the area and never leave an unattended fire in the pit.
- Inspections – Before cranking up any heating system for the new season, including your Gilbert Heat Pump, arrange for professional inspection and cleaning.
- Avoid misuse of equipment – In the plain and simple of it, cooking ranges are not designed to heat your home.
- Avoid extension cords – Electric space heaters demand lots of current. Make sure you plug directly into the wall outlets. Also never sleep while running any type of freestanding heat system.
- Smoke alarms – Make sure yours works and test it regularly.
American Cooling and Heating – Providing Gilbert Home Heating Safety Checks
American Cooling and Heating is your complete Arizona heating and cooling service center. Perhaps you are not ready to update to a modern Gilbert Heat Pump installation. The heating inspection team at ACH understands that delay is sometimes necessary. But you cannot afford to ignore the importance of an HVAC seasonal inspection and tuneup. ACH guarantees:
- Free estimates
- Same day service
- Flat-rate pricing
- Reliable HVAC professionals
- Skill to handle all models and brands
- No mess and no pressure.
- An honest report on the condition and reliability of your installed Gilbert heating system.
For more details concerning Gilbert Home Heating Safety, click here.
Gilbert, heating, home fires, space heaters